Beyond Beyond- Day 17
The theme for this lesson was Critiques and Possibilities. We were led through Kim’s thought process as she edited one of her own photos- this was so interesting, especially as she reshot the photo a couple times.
In case you didn’t read this last week, I am in the midst of decluttering my house in preparation for putting it on the market next month. Major change is afoot in our household as we decide what to let go of and what to keep. So far, we have donated about three truckloads of “stuff”. And, truthfully, unless you were intimately acquainted with our house, you would never know it. There is lots left! It takes a bit of courage and faith to put your house on the market without knowing exactly where or when you are moving, but we know in our hearts that this is the time. We no longer need a big house, stairs are a challenge to arthritic knees- it is time to downsize and, most likely, relocate to a less expensive area. We wish our friends would join us- come on, you guys!
I went through my grandmother’s sewing basket (I have sooooo many family heirlooms) and decided to photograph this simple spool of thread for my project (and yes, the sewing basket is a keeper- at least for now).
This was actually the second photo I took. In the first, the black surface of the dental cabinet was too dusty- so I got out the Pledge. I noted that the thread itself was pretty dusty still, so used the cloning and healing brush in Lightroom 5 to fix that up a bit- plus repair the nick in the black glass.
I had originally conceived of the photo as a black and white, so, although I played with it in color, I quickly went to black and white. I used a high contrast black and white preset from the Clickin Moms Paparazzi collection called Documentary (one of my favorites). I bumped up clarity and added a vignette.
I hadn’t planned on adding text, but something about my current state of exhaustion and my love of photo-editing led me to add a few words. So into Photoshop I went- using Traveling Typewriter and Quilted Butterfly fonts. Done!