App Happy!

I took this shot with my iPhone of one of the birdhouses in our backyard (left by the previous owner).  It is perched on a piece of driftwood, and is very low to the ground.  I haven’t seen any birds going in it, but I might be missing something.  Do the quail or roadrunners fly up into it??? Seems like the opening is too small. My bird-knowledgeable friends need to help me out here.

Painted in Waterlogue

Several apps were used as part of my process for this image.  I forgot that I could take the shot in square mode, thus eliminating cropping it to a square afterward- so I needed to crop it in one of the apps.  I used PicTapGo for this and also added a bit of warmth.  I found myself really disliking the right side of the photo (rocks and an out-of-focus branch), so I then opened the photo in Snapseed and used the Tilt-Shift effect to blur out the unwanted parts of the image.  Next, I added a texture in Mextures and a watercolor filter in Waterlogue.  I finished it off by adding the word, Home, in Phonto. Five apps for one photo?  Seems a bit extreme, but it worked for me this time.

As part of my quest to learn more about iPhoneography, I am linking up today with Barb’s new App-Happy Wednesday on Keeping With the Times.  I’m eager to see what the other iPhoneographers have done- I’m such a newbie at all of this!

Keeping With The Times
Note to my friends who take photos with their phones and are intimidated by the whole DSLR photography and editing thing:
This is seriously FUN! It is easy to edit your photos and make them look like little pieces of art.  Most of the apps are free- and the ones that aren’t are inexpensive. Try it!  You can figure out all of this in an afternoon. Join me on instagram. I’m #melindaroo.

1. I remember your bird houses in your backyard, I don’t know if this was one I saw but love the rusted feel on the one I saw from your dining room door. Love your use of apps here and how you achieved this, so pretty with the soft colors. When I had a bird feeder in my yard the quail did come to feed but mostly doves and smaller birds like the cactus wrens and had several woodpeckers feed also. I have a nest of quail now in a pot on my patio I most always get them in my containers, they like being hidden for their nests. Love these birds so much and can’t wait for them to hatch. They push them out of the nest right off within a day so I usually see them in the backyard following mom and dad around, just so cute. They are about 2 inches at this point when pushed out of the nest. The pot this year is 2 feet high or more so they will be pushed to the concrete patio….whee

April 23, 2014 at 6:06 am

2. So pretty, Melinda! that’s very impressive using 5 apps! but it is addictive isn’t it!! I really like Snapseed but always forget to use it …Thank you so much for joining in with “app” happy wednesday!

April 23, 2014 at 6:18 am

Do you remember those little birds? Those are the ones that use the little bird houses. Like house wrens. I can’t imagine a roadrunner squeezing into the little hole LOL!

April 23, 2014 at 6:46 am

4. wendy0322

OMG! All these fabulous apps! I have a feeling I am going to be way over my hobby budget this month!

April 23, 2014 at 7:21 am

5. wendy0322

OMG! All these fabulous apps make such a great piece of art! I am going to be way over my hobby budget this month!

April 23, 2014 at 7:23 am

6. Great edit, the bird house stands out perfectly. I use Snapseed all the time to fine tune. Almost always before taking into other apps.

April 23, 2014 at 8:48 am

7. Melinda love your work it loves so good.

April 23, 2014 at 10:30 am

8. Love what you did with your image. I’m also loving reading about all the different apps. What fun!

April 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm

9. What a beautiful abstract this made! Love it!

April 23, 2014 at 2:57 pm

10. This is great! Love the look. As others have already said, this kind of birdhouse is for smaller birds. I think quail nest on the ground and roadrunners nest low to the ground in shrubs.

April 24, 2014 at 7:31 am

11. Love this, Melinda! I linked with a painterly app too… Brushstroke.

April 24, 2014 at 7:32 am

12. Beautiful work with the apps, Melinda! I love the softenss and the colors!

April 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm

13. Debbie

This looks so cool!! You can’t even tell you started with a photo it looks like you painted it!

April 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm