Beyond Beyond- Day 19

My whole family left today, and I’m alone in a very empty house- which will go on the market soon.  Endings and beginnings.

I’m strangely un-busy and am using the time to edit and organize the 1700 PLUS photos taken over the last two weeks during my daughter’s family’s visit, as well as catch up on my blog and last week’s assignment for Beyond Beyond.

One of our Beyond Beyond assignments was to use a beach photo taken by Kim Klassen and edit it however we wished after watching a video on using the tone curve to bring out different tones in the image. I decided to use one of MY recent beach photos, which is similar to hers except for having my grandson and son-in-law in it.  I attempted to make a cold day at Bodega look sunny and warm by adding magenta and yellow with the tone curve, as well as some split toning.

1June2013-2462

Another part of the lesson was using layer styles in Photoshop.  I added a sepia layer (at reduced opacity) to this photo of Henry and then added type with a metallic style added to echo the metallic background.  The photo reminded me of an illustration in a children’s board book, so I used a primary looking font.

4June2013-2612-Edit

The main part of the assignment was to create a photo using your own style.  I thought the above photo showed my background as a first grade teacher; however, clean editing (often in black and white) is really my style for my family photos. So I decided to go with a family photo for the assignment.

My daughter was at a conference all day Friday, and my husband was working- so I had the kids from the time they woke up until bedtime.  We did laundry, worked a bit in the yard, blew bubbles, and then it was time for lunch- a PIGGY PICNIC in the backyard!

7June2013-2916

1. All these shots are great. I think you did a good job of warming up the first but the child’s glee at feeling sand in his toes is the real picture. Nice job! I’m going to have to make some time to get back to Beyond, beyond! I can see that I am missing some important stuff.

June 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm

2. What a joy to see your edits and work on the lessons this week! Love your adjustments using curves and nicely warming up a “cold” day at the beach. Your little family picnic is so cute – having a discussion – looking quite serious. Love their piggys at the picnic too.

June 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I LIKE .

June 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm

4. Melinda,

You and my husband, Ted Boothroyd (grandson of EL Rae Mowatt Christie), are both descended from AJ Mowatt. I would dearly love to communicate with you, in the hope of exchanging family-related info. In particular, I’m looking for more info about your grandfather and am hoping that you might have a formal photo of Louisa, your g-grandmother. We have a number of photographs along with plenty of family correspondence that might be of interest to you.

I simply LOVE your photography and am quite envious of you having such gorgeous grandchildren to act as models! Photography has always been an interest for me but you are waaaay ahead of me. My main project now is to create a website for Ted to display his wood carvings and am hoping to have it up and running shortly.

I would like to copy, with your permission, your beautiful photo of AJ’s book in a family history that I am compiling. You would be given full credit, of course, along with info about your Mowatt family connection.

Hoping to hear from you,
    Margaret Boothroyd
    506.451.6228

June 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm

5. I like what you did using Kim’s lessons for Day 19. I really love the ‘Up’ image, it’s my favorite of the three.

June 9, 2013 at 5:22 pm

You are so right. Emptiness in many ways!

June 10, 2013 at 5:41 am

7. Nevin

Really like how you transformed a cold day at the beach to a warm, sunny one!

June 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

8. Oh how I love the first image so full of memories in years to come…

June 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

9. Shelley

These are wonderful. I like that you used your own beach photo.

June 17, 2013 at 2:34 am