My New Find

Mason JarI’m ridiculously excited about this!  When my photoblogging friends were here on Wednesday, Terri started talking about her Mason jars and how you can date them by looking at the way Ball is written on the glass- fascinating! After lunch, we strolled through a few antique stores, and I bought my first old Ball Mason jar (and yes, I bought a Blue Ridge saucer as well)!  I can tell by the loop at the end of the word Ball (called a triple L) that this jar was from 1896-1910.

I’m sure you will be seeing this jar again in more photos.  I took it out on the porch to photograph, but today’s light isn’t the best (so far it’s cloudy and gray).  I brought my white backdrop and tablecloth out to lighten things up and added a sprig of heath- but I couldn’t do anything about the lack of morning light. Another day. . .

Something tells me this won’t be the last Mason jar I buy!

Linking up with Friday Finds today.

Editing Notes:

I am so behind in my 2B (Beyond Beyond) lessons! A few weeks ago, I discovered that the lessons had started up again (evidently quite awhile ago).  My notifications weren’t coming to me for some reason (probably in my spam folder). It wasn’t until this week that I started looking at what I’ve missed, and now it’s almost over.  😦  Thankfully, the lessons will stay up, and I will have a lot of fun catching up- will probably do some marathon sessions.  I actually used what I gleaned from Lesson 50 to edit this still life.  Kim provided us with a set of workflow presets she uses to edit her photos= awesome! I already had many presets I’ve created or downloaded- they simplify my life so much when I want to edit quickly. For example, I had created some for different types of vignettes, for clarity, for midtone brightening, adding warmth, etc.  But I had never thought to organize them into a folder- and put them in the order I would use them.  They are all just randomly in a favorites folder along with other favorites I use all the time.  Big head smack! I am so inspired to get in there and organize my presets!  So today, I used Kim’s workflow- and it worked great!  After taking the image through her presets, I popped it into Photoshop, added the anna texture, and I was done!

1. So beautifully photographed Melissa, could never tell the light was not what you wanted at all. Love the composition and the lesson on the history of Ball. I really should have gotten one but it also gives me a reason to come back up and look for one. 🙂 Look forward to more of your catch up lessons. I am still catching up also.

April 11, 2014 at 8:54 am

2. stampncml@comcast.net

I have about 6 old canning jars a few of them with lids……..

April 11, 2014 at 8:56 am

3. Yes, I too have a love for the old blue Ball Jars. I have a few from my Mother and use them as vases and for storage, too. Your composition, so soft and simple, is the perfect staging for the simplicity of the jar. Lovely.

April 11, 2014 at 8:59 am

4. Hi, Melinda! I’m a friend of Terri’s. And I ‘get it’! I, too, have been wanting a turquoise/blue mason jar and I found one just last weekend! It was my find for the week, too, and mine has the same kind of lid yours does, although I didn’t show it in my photo. Congratulations!

April 11, 2014 at 9:09 am

5. Nevin

What fun!!! A new object for treasure hunting and photographing! And when will you be photographing that Blue Ridge plate?

April 11, 2014 at 9:16 am

6. Somehow I KNEW I’d see this beauty here today! I love the soft morning light and I love your jar! My friend Dotti (above) just got her first one too but as you said, it won’t be the last!

April 11, 2014 at 9:52 am

7. Oh my is this ever gorgeous! Love the softness, paleness, and just plain loveliness! I have an “itch” to get down to my antique store for some finds. Great Mason jar find with the old date!!

April 11, 2014 at 10:06 am

8. so white, clean and simple! love it!

April 11, 2014 at 10:43 am

9. Love the jar what a glorious colour, so sweet…

April 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

10. Forgive me forgive me, I don’t know why I always think of you as Melissa. When I was driving up on Wednesday I was saying to myself now don’t call her Melissa. Have you ever gotten a name in your head and just can’t get it out, well that is it. I am so sorry. I hope you like the name Melissa because I may call you that from time to time and you have my permission just to give me a punch if I do. 🙂

April 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm

11. oh such a lovely photo … I just love its simplicity and the blue color … swoon! I did not know how to date a mason jar. Now I will be on the lookout!

April 11, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I have jars from Chris’ grandmother. Didn’t know there was a code.

April 12, 2014 at 7:28 am

13. oh my word, first of all, your photo is stunning, melinda! second, i’ve collected quite a few of the turquoise/blue ball jars over the years and use some of them to store cereals, flour, beans, etc., here in the pantry, but i never knew about the ‘triple L’ … so, i went in search of that extra embellishment, and lo and behold, so far, I have found 6 of them! of course, i would never sell them … i’m quite partial to these baby blues! 🙂 i used one in some photos once with dandelions in it, and i’m looking forward to seeing what more you do with them! today, i’ve been back trying to catch up after quite some time away … i’ve missed sharing here and hope to be back again very soon!

April 12, 2014 at 7:09 pm