Rainy Day Play

Today is one of those days I remember from my teaching days: drizzly rain, gray skies, fog, and periods when the rain stops, but it is still misty out.  Do you send the kids out to recess? Will it start pouring as soon as you do? How many more games of seven-up can we play? How many more inside recesses before we all go crazy?

I don’t remember days like this last winter; I thought all our Arizona rain came during monsoon season.

My husband is still recuperating at home, and, since it is a rainy day, it seemed like a good day to play in my garage studio and try to catch up on some still life assignments.

Here are some photos I shot- edited with a variety of presets from Kim Klassen.  The topic was spoons, and I added loose tea from these cute little cans (bought at our local spice shop).  There was some side lighting, since the garage door was open- but very little, since it is such a gray and dismal day.

tea_spoon_diptych tea_spoon_layout2 20150130-DSC_1757_melinda_andersonBoth spoons belonged to my grandmother, Mimi.  The bottom one is engraved with a B, which I assume is for Badenoch, the family name (her maiden name also begins with B).

I’m belatedly linking up with Friday Finds, since these little cans of tea were such a find.

1. Love that spoon! Hope your husband is doing well. I’m glad to see you’re indulging in a bit of self-care with your photography.

January 30, 2015 at 5:02 pm

2. Hi Melinda! Its been raining quite heavy in Fountain Hills for 24 hours! Yikes! I love rain, but I love it more at home where it belongs … I’m hoping we get some heat here pretty soon! I love your spoon, and tea, and your amazing work with the Lensbaby! Hope your husband is doing well, and that you are too.

January 30, 2015 at 5:58 pm

3. Love these Melinda, your choice of props is just perfect, Oh my that little house in the image is wonderful as well as the little canisters. Love the spoon dof, and by the way “B” is for Barbara!

January 31, 2015 at 6:51 am

4. Carol

Each image is quite lovely. I don’t think I can pick a favorite. Well done.

February 1, 2015 at 3:05 pm

5. Hi Melinda,
    I like the different moods you have created … the nostalgic lila, and the white,soft and bright … and the last spoon with the awesome depth of field – wow!

February 2, 2015 at 11:25 am

6. oliag0

Fabulous spoons! Love your photos and I am particularly drawn to the last photo with such detail of that beautiful spoon pattern

February 2, 2015 at 3:51 pm

7. Beautiful set of images and lovely processing. I love the angle of the last image (and of course I love both of those gorgeous spoons).

February 3, 2015 at 12:05 pm