In search of my still life mojo. . .

In the hopes of finding my still life photography mojo, I’ve taken on two of Kim Klassen’s photo classes- Start to Finish and Be Still.  Both emphasize still life photography, a genre where I often feel awkward and uninspired. After two years of doing a Project 365 and another year and a half of regular photography blogging, I have taken photos of almost everything in my house- actually two houses! Time for some new inspiration!

My intentions for this class are to learn some new skills and to create some photo art that is truly my own expression.

I am just beginning to gather my props and was delighted yesterday when a package arrived in the mail that contained the family history items that my husband had gathered from his father’s home during last week’s visit to Kansas. Yay- props! You might notice a Mason jar in the background- it’s new! I had asked my husband to look in his dad’s house for some jars; when he mentioned it to his sister, Kathy, she gave him one of hers to give to me. How awesome!

24Apr2014-6186-Edit

This photo is edited using some of Kim Klassen’s older textures- soft grunge, archives, abstract, and scratchedmagicjuly.

I’m linking up with Friday Finds as well as my Start to Finish classmates.

Kim Klassen dot Com

1. Lucky you to have inherited those wonderful treasures. I know how it feels because I inherited a lot of them from both sides of my family. You make me wish I was taking S2F but I’ve already taken it once and I’m registered for Be Still. So I think I’ll Be Still and wait… lovely still life by the way!!

April 25, 2014 at 5:43 am

2. I am sure you will find your mojo but I think you already have it from the image and looking forward to seeing more of your treasures.

April 25, 2014 at 6:30 am

3. Love the scratchy textures. Very nice vintage look. I think you’re well on your way to finding your still life mojo!

April 25, 2014 at 6:42 am

4. I lke the way the glasses are crystal clear against the textured background. Lovely….

April 25, 2014 at 8:41 am

5. Taking a class with Kim is a surefire way to get your mojo back. I haven’t done S2F but I am signed up for ‘Be Still’ … it sounds so intriguing. Those are wonderful treasures that you have and they will be awesome props.

April 25, 2014 at 9:35 am

6. How exciting that you were given another blue mason jar!! Your still of ancestor pieces is simply gorgeous, and the textures worked beautifully. It looks like have have great creative hand and eye already! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

April 25, 2014 at 11:57 am

7. You sound just like me with still life photography. I enjoy searching for props, and I am pretty decent at shooting the stuff, but the reason or purpose behind doing it eludes me. I always want a story to go with the photos.

April 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I like it and I found my last missing canning jar of which I can’t find much info on…… the search is on….

April 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm

• Melinda

What kind is it? I think Kerr and Atlas came later (not sure) , but there are lots of cool ones with the zinc lids.

April 25, 2014 at 3:45 pm

9. Lovely to receive family photographs that can be used in your still life.

April 26, 2014 at 3:57 am

10. Lovely! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

April 26, 2014 at 6:19 am

11. Caz

Lovely image ! I’m taking both classes too, hoping I will find still life easier. At the moment I just feel awkward too!

April 26, 2014 at 6:12 pm

12. michellemollinga

Beautiful image, Melinda! I imagine you will have such fun with your new {old} family treasures. 🙂

April 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm