Prairie Sunflowers

Prairie sunflowers! At our monthly photography club meeting last week, I learned that the Flagstaff area is blanketed with prairie sunflowers in August and September.  Bonito Park, north of Flagstaff, is a particularly photogenic spot as it sits between Sunset Crater and the San Francisco Peaks.  My husband and I headed up there on Saturday and found it lives up to its reputation.

Here is the meadow with Sunset Crater in the background.

20140823-DSC_3233_melinda_anderson

Looking the other direction, I photographed the sunflowers with the San Francisco peaks behind them.

20140823-DSC_3269_melinda_anderson-Edit 20140823-DSC_3185_melinda_anderson-EditAs we began the drive home, we enjoyed seeing prairie sunflowers in bloom everywhere.

20140823-DSC_3329_melinda_anderson

How beautiful! Florida does not compare. Heading for a swamp tour today with Amelia. Wish it was in the mountains!

August 25, 2014 at 5:05 am

2. What a treasure you found there! I’m just amazed and your photos have been absolutely stunning!

August 25, 2014 at 5:12 am

3. Such a pretty area, and reminds me of spring in the Sierra’s. I bet you had a field day, pun indented. 🙂

August 25, 2014 at 5:31 am

4. Perfectly beautiful landscapes and clouds, too! I love the sort of two-tone feel to them. Great find.

August 25, 2014 at 7:09 am

I love all kinds of Sunflowers. When I was teaching, I had a young man who asked his Mom for yellow and brown flowers for his birthday. She couldn’t figure it out and he finally said. ” You know Mom just like the ones in my class”. She asked us and he got a whole bunch of pretend Sunflowers for his birthday. The real ones weren’t in season , but when he left my class…………………I got a bunch of real ones.

August 25, 2014 at 10:58 am

6. joan

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

August 25, 2014 at 12:13 pm

7. Debbie

Looks like you found a little piece of heaven! I love the close up with the mountains in the background.

August 27, 2014 at 10:19 am