Books and a Cup

It was a stormy monsoon of a day- a good day to practice my still-life skills.  I’d been feeling the urge to photograph old books again, so went to the bookshelves and pulled down four of my mother’s books (which I treasure) and my childhood thesaurus (the torn and tattered one).  I added my cup of coffee to the scene and went to work.  Afterward, I edited them with a matte curve in most and adjustments in white balance and/or split-toning to get the tones I was trying to create in the image.

books_and_cup_diptych books_and_cup1I took two of the images (the first and fourth) into Photoshop and added textures- Kim Klassen’s yesteryear and sweettart.

Linking up with Texture Tuesday today.

1. Love these, Melinda! gives me the urge to go out and find some more old books!

September 9, 2014 at 4:56 am

2. I am with Barb in fact it is on my list of props to find. Love that tattered one so much and I bet that is the one your hubby has been wanting you to part with.

September 9, 2014 at 6:07 am

3. You’re so lucky to have these wonderful books to photograph! Beautiful tones and textures.

September 9, 2014 at 7:44 am

4. Hi Melinda, So glad I found you! I am a book lover and your photographs are simple and elegant – love how you captured the subtle textures, tear, pages and the feel of reading. It’s great fun to watch you practicing the techniques Kim is teaching; I’ll learn from you!

September 9, 2014 at 10:57 am

5. I have to agree – these books make a wonderful prop – love the tattered one. Lovely images!

September 9, 2014 at 12:29 pm

6. The wood table and chair really adds the “library” look to your place….books are such great photo props! Love all of these Melinda!

September 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm

These look like they belong on a Kate Carlisle book cover…..murder mystery…nice !

September 9, 2014 at 1:42 pm

8. Caz

Love them all ! Old books are on my wish list, they make such a lovely prop 🙂

September 9, 2014 at 5:28 pm

9. Beautiful! I love old books as props and these are lovely.

September 10, 2014 at 2:55 am

10. Thoughts from the Desktop

Gorgeous, nothing like old books to photograph…

September 10, 2014 at 4:09 am

11. How I loved The Secret Garden:) I always find myself trying to read the titles of the books in photos! Beautiful still life shots!

September 11, 2014 at 11:55 am