Playing with my phone

I’ve learned two important lessons about photography in the last four years (and I’m not talking f-stops here. . .):

1. Light is everything.

2. Beauty is everywhere.

I know I used to know about the second one when I was a child; I’m sure all children do.  I noticed everything and took note.  Then I grew up and got busy.  Now that I am retired I notice again.  And take note.  And appreciate!

The other day I was walking through my bedroom and noticed the vertical blinds-probably the least appreciated item in our home.  I don’t like vertical blinds and plan to replace them someday.  But that day, I noticed. And took note. And appreciated.

Photo Sep 06- 11 02 25 AMPhoto Sep 06- 8 40 25 AMI love the play of light and shadow.  Yes, there is beauty everywhere!

I then played with some of the images.  I started by making a collage of two of them in Pic Stitch.Photo Sep 06- 8 55 21 AMThen I brought the collage into Pixlr Express and had fun adding effects with the Effects panel.

Photo Sep 06- 9 01 17 AMPhoto Sep 06- 9 05 05 AM

Great fun!

The next day was the day of the beginning of the Mother of all Monsoons- torrential rains and flooding fed by Hurricane Norbert pushing inland.  I stayed inside (when I wasn’t running outside to make sure the hill wasn’t sliding away. . .) and set up a still life for Be Still 52 (the one I posted yesterday).  I was proud of myself for remembering to take some iPhone shots as I was getting things ready. This one had a basic edit in Snapseed, with some adjustments in tone.  Then I added a texture in Mextures.

Photo Sep 07- 10 11 18 AM

I couldn’t resist taking a photo with my Lensbaby Mobile.  Edited in Snapseed. Love that blur!

Photo Sep 07- 10 27 17 AMLinking up with App- Happy Wednesday today!

1. Lovely post – I’ve notice more and more beauty around me (like I did as a child) since I started taking photos again. Love your vertical blind images – so awesome to make art out things that no one takes the time to notice. Love your blurry lensbaby image too!

September 10, 2014 at 6:52 am

2. I am amazed and inspired by your vertical blind images, they are absolutely fascinating. I too “see” beauty and inspiration everywhere and it’s what gets me up and going in the morning (sometimes too early)! Oh, and I adore your Lensbaby shots too! Thanks for linking up today, Melinda!

September 10, 2014 at 7:37 am

3. Melinda, I am blown away by these photos. The collage is brilliant, clever, ingenious. I don’t have enough words for it. I first looked at it on my iPhone and was immediately mesmerized but viewing it on full screen, wow!! And the Lensbaby shot is fabulous!!!

September 10, 2014 at 7:53 am

4. Debbie

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what you have shown here is that we all need to be beholding a lot more! Well done!

September 10, 2014 at 11:42 am

5. Your bw – photos are beautiful – such a lovely study on light! And the warmth in your Be Still-shot – the light and the books… Makes me want to spent an afternoon in the library, reading and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere!

September 10, 2014 at 11:56 am

6. Well, I love all of these! The photos of the vertical blinds are so architectural, just perfect. And I always love a beautiful book photo.

September 10, 2014 at 1:55 pm

LOVE THE BLINDS……

September 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

8. Saw your blind photos on a Instagram. Love. It’s easy to get carried away huh? Just love that cup and book shot.

September 10, 2014 at 11:20 pm