Made by Hand

I couldn’t post this until after Christmas, because I was knitting this scarf for my daughter.  I used to knit all the time until about five years ago, when I realized that my hand and wrist issues were being exacerbated by the repetitive motion. I have a real love of yarn and handknits, and, although I was never an expert knitter, it was a relaxing and creative outlet for me. So, I dug out some of my yarn and found a scarf that I had started to knit in 2010- and, knitting only a little at a time, I finished it up for my daughter for Christmas.  I made so many mistakes, but finally the muscle memory kicked in. I know my hands aren’t up to more than a half hour or so a day of knitting, but I plan on digging into my yarn again and finishing up a few projects- a little at a time- baby steps!

knitting

1. Beautiful scarf! Pretty photo too 🙂

January 5, 2016 at 5:45 am

2. Lovely especially the intense color. I am addictive to a book series mostly about people who own business on a street close to Pikes Market in Seattle. The author is Debbie McComber. They are all easy reads, like a good chick flick. But what I wanted to say they center around a Knitting store and the characters that visit the shop to learn to knit in most of the books. I love the fact that I seem to get to know each of the characters through these books. One of the things that are mentioned quite often is how knitting relaxes you, and it is a form of meditation.

January 5, 2016 at 7:07 am

• Oh I just love those books – how knitting creates a tight knit group

January 5, 2016 at 4:07 pm

• Claudia Lowery

Barbara , I love McCombers’ books and even though I don ‘t knit I do other art forms to relax…….Claudia Lowery

January 5, 2016 at 4:17 pm

• Melinda

I’ve read some of the books too! And another one about knitting- can’t remember the title. I agree about it being relaxing and meditative; it’s a real exercise in mindfulness to count stitches and focus on the pattern- everything else goes away.

January 5, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I’ve been thinking of doing the same Melinda. Love the color!!!!

January 5, 2016 at 7:08 am

4. I love the color and being a knitter myself I understand the wear and tear it can take on your wrists. Several years ago, someone suggested some hand exercises before I knit and they have really helped me. I can knit much longer than before. I like you have several (understatement) projects that need finishing so after being here I feel more inspired to finish them…..

January 5, 2016 at 11:33 am

5. Beautiful color, beautiful stitch. Glad you could knit again.

January 5, 2016 at 4:07 pm

good for you !

January 5, 2016 at 4:15 pm

• Melinda

Do it, Susan! I hope to start another (easy) project soon!

January 5, 2016 at 4:59 pm

7. Melinda

What are you working on these days, Claudia? I loved your Christmas card!

January 5, 2016 at 5:00 pm