Square, Top Down, 2 Sides

This was fun- and trickier than I thought! The BeStill52 challenge was to create a square, top-down composition where subjects were arranged on two sides of the square, leaving some negative space.  Now, I am a big fan of negative space- but somehow these compositions were hard for me. I struggle with top-down photography anyway. I’m short, so getting the bird’s eye view involves standing on a chair or ladder.  The second photo was easier for me, because I deliberately used small objects and shot it standing on the floor- yippee!

The photo below is of two old photo albums- my grandmother’s and my father’s.  I didn’t see either of them until after my parents were gone, so wasn’t able to ask questions about them.  I’m so curious about the open album on top- look how the photos are cut and arranged artistically! My father graduated from high school in Wolf Point, Montana about 1919 (!), and these photos appear to be of him and his high school friends.  Was my father really a scrapbooker? I wonder if one of his girlfriends put the albums together for him. Anyway- it is VERY cute! My grandmother’s album features family photos from the 1920’s, often involving camping trips and excursions to the beach. The photo of the three children is my mother (left) with her brother and sister- taken around 1915.

20141129-DSC_7307_melinda_anderson-EditAnd here is the photo of smaller objects- much easier to photograph!

20141130-DSC_7314_melinda_anderson-EditBoth photos are textured with Kim Klassen’s breakfree texture for Texture Tuesday.

1. I thought this was a fun one also, well I don’t think I am short, just medium but I also need to stand on a ladder sometimes probably not the best thing to do when you live alone. Love the focus and the moody feel to these.

December 2, 2014 at 6:15 am

2. You bring up a good point, about shooting from above and being short….as I’m tall I never considered a boundary for this style, and when I put things on the floor, I’m bending over… Oh I love the top image with your family photos..such a sentimental subject to make into a top down – seeing everyone just right. I adore your Joy ornament and pinecones!

December 2, 2014 at 8:01 am

3. Love your images – especially the old photo albums (love old photos); I always wonder why the pages are always black. I love that “Joy” ornament too. Lovely set of images!

December 2, 2014 at 11:36 am

4. dmh60

I’m not in the Be Still class, but I am really enjoying the posts with this assignment – and you met the challenge beautifully. Sometimes arranging the props is the hardest part for me! Love both images and the story behind the scenes (I’m short, too -and I’m always on a stool for those top down shots).

December 2, 2014 at 4:23 pm

5. I don’t think I’ve ever tried a composition like that. I too think it might be tricky. Interesting post about the photo books. I just got my Dad’s photo book and he has passed on. There are some amazing images in it, but I’ll never know of who or where.

December 2, 2014 at 5:02 pm

6. Yep, me too (I’m 5’2″ on a good day :)) so a stool is a must. Top-down photography is probably my favourite style – I absolutely love it. Gorgeous work, Melinda!

December 3, 2014 at 5:31 am

7. You nailed this! Love top down shots. Especially with the iPhone.

December 3, 2014 at 7:29 am

8. You did a lovely job with these.

December 3, 2014 at 6:02 pm

9. Caz

Love what you found and love your images ! I use the floor quite often for top down photos, as long as I have the right background , I’m short too ! 🙂

December 3, 2014 at 8:16 pm