Adventures in Lensbaby

20150105-DSC_0221_melinda_anderson-EditThis may look like a very simple, ordinary still life to you- but to me it represents a breakthrough!

Mastering the combination of appropriate aperture, manual focus, and correct tilt of the Lensbaby has been a challenge to say the least.  To create this still life, I had some seemingly simple goals.  I wanted window light, soft focus on the window and edges of the photo, and, most importantly, the face of the little girl figurine/vase to be in focus.  It was the last goal that was, of course, the most difficult.  Out of the 31 photos I snapped, two had good focus on the face.  This actually represents improvement to me!

I wasn’t thinking I would use the Lensbaby on still life, but now I see that I like the effect- and that, with lots of patience, I can create the correct focus and the amount of blur I want.  Yay!  In fact, still life is probably what I SHOULD be practicing on, because it is, well, STILL!

This was taken with the Sweet 35 optic at f/4.  Textured with painterly and chill by Kim Klassen.

For Be Still- 52. Week 30 (a fresh start for 2015) and Texture Tuesday

1. Looks really great, so happy that you love the Lensbaby and we have that with liked interest in lens. Love the look of the glasses on the book.

January 6, 2015 at 5:53 am

2. The picture is very beautiful

January 6, 2015 at 9:45 am

3. I think you’ve nailed it here, Melinda. This is beautiful Keep up the good work, it should only get easier, right?

January 6, 2015 at 11:02 am

4. This is so pretty! I have to agree with Dotti – I think you nailed it 🙂

January 6, 2015 at 11:33 am

5. Great Job! The Lensbaby is a difficult lens to work with. I have one, I haven’t picked it up in a while, and really have a hard time getting the image I have in my head to be the image I create with the lens. You did great, especially with only 31 shots, I have shot 100 before and not liked anything 🙂

January 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm

6. Bravo to you Melinda…the softness and focus are just perfect!! Sounds like you are enjoying the “slowing down” and working for the shot. Will look forward to more still life with your Lensbaby.

January 6, 2015 at 12:27 pm